Professor of Ophthalmology, Ocular Inflammation and Infection and Medical Retina/Uveitis specialist and ophthalmic surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, who specialises in the diagnosis and management of ocular inflammatory and infectious diseases (uveitis, iritis, posterior uveitis, and also inflammation of the coats of the eye, namely episcleritis, and scleritis); retinal vascular disorders (retinal vein and artery occlusions, diabetic retinopathy, occlusive vasculitis ) and macular degeneration.
- He has extensive experience in the management of ocular inflammation using all forms of local and systemic therapy with immunosuppressive drugs and biologics.
- He conducts laser treatment for retinal conditions and capsulotomy.
- He has given over 400 lectures in the UK and abroad.
- He has written over 200 publications.
- He edited 5 medical books and written more than 20 book chapters.
- He trained more than 100 fellows from around the world.
He has been a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital since 1995 and has also worked as an honorary consultant at St Thomas’ Hospital for several years. He is a Professor of Ocular Inflammation and Infection at the Institute of Ophthalmology, UCL. He was the director of the Medical Retinal Service from 2008 to 2016. He is currently Director of the Fellowship Programme and co-director of the Uveitis Department at Moorfields Eye Hospital. He has organised many international meetings and lectured extensively in the UK and abroad. He is a member of the European University Professors of Ophthalmology (EUPO) and Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Ophthalmic Inflammation and Infection. He has published more than 200 papers in the field of retina and inflammation and edited 5 books apart from writing 28 book chapters. He has been principal investigator of several clinical trials that have resulted in new treatments becoming available for use in the treatment of uveitis.